Sunday, August 30, 2009

WA D.C. DAY 1~~ I've never been a fan of the travelling, but the "Being In ___" rocks :)

Hi all! I told you I would be keeping you updated on all the D.C. dish, and here I am reporting to you on day 1. Nothing to over exciting will be reported on this day, beyond the fact that I'M ON VACAY AND AM FINALLY VISITING THE NORTHEAST FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

Today has been an exhausting day, but how lucky am I to say that I am exhausted from flying across the country!! Melissa and I left our house at 2:50 am and were at Sea-Tac with plenty of time to spare. Let's just say that Melissa likes to live by my one of my dear Grandma Flo's unwavering principles of life: HURRY UP AND WAIT. Hehe.

Anyways, we waited at the airport for a few torturous hours, and I say torturous for a few reasons.... A) We did not power nap before we headed out B) while attempting to sleep we regretted not packing a mini pillow for each of us, it was as cold as an igloo in terminal A14. C) the anxiety of boarding a plane would not desist and I kept thinking about all the dismal ways the plane could go down after we were miles in the sky. We were, after all, flying into the nation's capital, something that in my mind could be a probable target for... well er... terrorists I woke up in fetal position shaking and feeling cooky, to a phone call from my mom whose voice quickly put me at ease and who agreed that it might be a good idea to purchase a travel blanket/pillow before the flight. Check and Check.

Our flight made a stop in Atlanta and the proceeded to D.C. This is all so surreal to me still that it really did not hit me how far from home I really was until we stepped outside with our luggage and the fabulous eastern air hit us, and I could taste the heat and humidity on my tongue. What an amazing feeling.

As the taxi drove us to our downtown hotel we passed the Lincoln Memorial and so many other famous monuments. Such amazing sights for the first time.... and for some reason the first thing I thought of was Forrest Gump and Jenny running through the water at the peace rally screaming "FORREST!!! FORREST!!!" LOL'Z :)

We are staying at the Renaissance Mayflower hotel, and for an el-cheapo pricelined hotel room, what a luxurious and glamourous building! It is totally RenaissanceISH with marble floors and walls, golden carved trim and angelic statues. Our room is to die for... perfect for the princess's that we are :)


COMFORTABLE beds :)
The HUGE mirror in our room



Lobby
More Lobby


Since exhaustion has completely set in and we are now 3 hours ahead of our usual standard time, we've decided to make it a very early night and only venture as far out of our room as the 3 blocks it took to find some Thai food. DEEELISH. Anyways, hope you enjoyed the few pic's of our hotel and our crazy self's after a day filled with excitement, anxiety, independence and GRATITUDE. Tomorrow Melissa and I will be checking out the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, which I know will be very emotional but well worth it. Then tomorrow evening my friends Thea, Ricky, Rick and Marty will be arriving as well.

I love all of you, am missin my roomies (and Lauren) dearly and LOVE MY LIFE TODAY! XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Mel - you are such an amazing story teller - thanks for sharing - I am so glad that you are where you are back on track in life : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking blog Mel. Looks like you had are having a wonderful time.

    You should try adding some google adsense to your blog for a little bit of income. I just started writing my blog again a month ago and the income buys my coffee everyday. Take a look if you like http://www.investingincanada.info

    ReplyDelete